Will Dockery interview: 1996
Will Dockery
2006-12-28 20:59:55 UTC
Were you dressed like Superman?
It's not an autobiographical narrative.
Might as well be, though.
NBC's Jane Pauley's riff for POTUS Ford mentioned his being on NBC's
Today Show on November 23, 1963 while JFK "was laying in state", so I figure
she reads my comments here.
I've watched some of the Ford nostalgia fest today, interesting how
much of a difference 30 years makes as far as perspective... Ford going
from the bumbling unelected president who cut Nixon off the hook to
cutting into the James Brown action.

For the Godfather of Soul, my favorite JB poem:

http://www.funky-stuff.com/jamesbrown/Lyrics/ThePayback.htm

The Payback

hey! Gotta gotta pay back!! (The big payback)
Revenge!! I'm mad (the big payback)
Got to get back! Need some get back!! Pay Back! (the big payback)
That's it!! Payback!!! Revenge!!!
I'm mad!!

Get down with my girlfriend, That ain't right!!
Hollarin' cussin', you wanna fight
Payback is a thing you gotta see
Brother do any damn thing to me

Sold me out, for chump change (yes you did!!)
Told me that they, they had it all arranged
You handed me down, and thats a fact
Now you're pumped, You gotta get ready For the big payback!! (the big
payback!!)
That's where I am, the big payback (the big payback!!)

I can do wheelin', I can do dealin' (yes you can!!) But I don't do no
damn
squealin'
I can dig rappin', I'm ready!! I can dig scrappin'
But I can't dig that backstabbin' (Oh No!!)

The brother get ready!! Thats a fact!!
Get ready you Mother, for the big payback (The big Payback!!)
Let me hit 'em hit'em!! Hey Hey!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Took my money, you got my honey
Don't want me to see what you doing to me
I got to get back I gotta deal with you!! (4xs) Hey let me tell ya!!
Get down with my woman, that ain't right! You hollarin' and cussin',
you wanna
fight!!
Don't do me no darn favor,
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!!!! (yes we do!!)

Get ready thats a fact, Get ready you Mother for the big payback (the
big
payback!)
Hey!! I'm a man! I'm a man! I'm a son of a man, but don't they tell ya
then
hop again
Get ready for the big payback (the big payback!!) Hit 'em again!!
Get ready I need it, I need a hit again!! Say it once (3xs) Hit 'em
again!!
(the big payback!!) Sold me out for chump change
Said my woman had it all arranged
Tryin' to make a deal, she wants to squeal But I had my boys on her
heals
Saw me comin', told a lie Went down like you wanted to cry
I don't care what she does, she'll be doin' just like she was
Take your kids and raise them up, Somebody think I have a right to be
tough
Take her, take that woman, it's one place she found
Just run that mother out of town!!
Got to get up!! Got to get up, get out!! (2xs)
I'm mad!! I want revenge, I want revenge (the big payback!!) I want
revenge
(3xs)
(the big payback!!) Give me those hits!! I want some hits!! I need
those
hits, hit me!!

-James Brown

--
"Hasty Pudding" by Dockery-Conley:
http://www.myspace.com/willdockery

Parnello's Pizza art:
ggamble
2006-12-28 21:14:25 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
It's not an autobiographical narrative.
Might as well be, though.
Nothing But Pain.
No sea deep enough,
no dark black enough.
No death painless,
no ressurection coming.
Open myself up,
I see twisted roots.
What has happened,
what will happen,
down to the end,
and down deeper.
No sea black enough,
no dark deep enough.
Sleep not final,
dreams to awake,
to this terrible lie.
I know. Nothing but pain.
Darkness and pain.
I know.
On and on it remains,
it's all so simple,
nothing but a grim heart.
-Will Dockery
Will Dockery
2006-12-28 21:23:39 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Thanks for the plug, my friend, and hope your holidays a moving
tolerably!

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Parnellos_Pizza.jpg
ggamble
2006-12-28 21:52:50 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Nothing But Pain.
No sea deep enough,
no dark black enough.
No death painless,
no ressurection coming.
Open myself up,
I see twisted roots.
What has happened,
what will happen,
down to the end,
and down deeper.
No sea black enough,
no dark deep enough.
Sleep not final,
dreams to awake,
to this terrible lie.
I know. Nothing but pain.
Darkness and pain.
I know.
On and on it remains,
it's all so simple,
nothing but a grim heart.
-Will Dockery
Barbara's Cat
2006-12-28 21:28:15 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Too many esses, not enough ars.
Cm~
Will Dockery
2006-12-28 21:37:55 UTC
Post by Barbara's Cat
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Thanks for the (short) critique, Cat... though I haven't considered
this one worth bothering with at this late date, your thought may be
helpful with something else.

Hope your holiday week is a fine and balmy one!

Dennis M. Hammes
2006-12-29 09:37:33 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
I haven't considered
this one worth bothering with.
What a surprise.
--
-------(m+
~/:o)_|
http://scrawlmark.org
Will Dockery
2006-12-29 11:08:08 UTC
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by Will Dockery
I haven't considered
this one worth bothering with.
What a surprise.
A shame you never realized that your hundreds of homophobic and racist
shit limericks are /all/ in that category, Uncle Hammy.

Dennis M. Hammes
2006-12-30 09:30:58 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by Will Dockery
I haven't considered
this one worth bothering with.
What a surprise.
A shame you never realized that your hundreds of homophobic and racist
shit limericks are /all/ in that category, Uncle Hammy.
And there you have what makes you a member of the quasi-organic race
when you lie upon a nonplussed floor, quasi-surprised that it's the
only thing that'll "support" you, faggot.
/I/ considered all 440 of them to be "worth bothering with."
Little /more/ than that, to be sure.
But that.
And right in your face, O quasi-syllabic one.
http://scrawlmark.org
Will Dockery
2006-12-30 11:09:13 UTC
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by Will Dockery
A shame you never realized that your hundreds of homophobic and racist
shit limericks are /all/ in that category, Uncle Hammy.
you, faggot.
Nice zinger, Hammy.

But dull.
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
/I/ considered all 440 of them to be "worth bothering with."
Well, you /did/ write the little pieces of shit, after all.

Orson Wells as CitizenCain
Whereas you've written big stinking steaming turds that clog the bowl.
Dennis M. Hammes
2007-01-05 08:29:45 UTC
Post by Orson Wells as CitizenCain
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
/I/ considered all 440 of them to be "worth bothering with."
Well, you /did/ write the little pieces of shit, after all.
Whereas you've written big stinking steaming turds that clog the bowl.
...and gave himself A Thousand Points.
http://scrawlmark.org
Will Dockery
2007-01-05 08:55:48 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
/I/ considered all 440 of them to be "worth bothering with."
Well, you /did/ write the little pieces of shit, after all.
Whereas you've written <slap>
More than you could even begin to try and match, Dink.

Orson Wells as CitizenCain
2007-01-05 16:51:35 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
/I/ considered all 440 of them to be "worth bothering with."
Well, you /did/ write the little pieces of shit, after all.
Whereas you've written <slap>
More than you could even begin to try and match, Dink.
Dorkery, I'm a published writer. I write every day and have my work read by
thousands. What's the best YOU'VE done besides some scribblings on a
keyboard?
On The Highways and Bi-Ways God Built
2007-01-05 18:33:39 UTC
In article <4ec13$459e8214$a6666842$***@ALLTEL.NET>, Orson Wells as CitizenCain
says...
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
/I/ considered all 440 of them to be "worth bothering with."
Well, you /did/ write the little pieces of shit, after all.
Whereas you've written <slap>
More than you could even begin to try and match, Dink.
Dorkery, I'm a published writer. I write every day and have my work read by
thousands. What's the best YOU'VE done besides some scribblings on a
keyboard?
well, he's staggered around on a 3 foot wide stage like a mongoloid on acid a
couple of times. to dockery that's an accomplishment. sad but true.

most sincerely,

GodBuilt
"I like to drink, I like to drive, I like to think all of the Jews got out of
the Holocaust alive, my name is Mel, and can't you tell, I like Tequila!"

Denis Leary
Sick Mind
2007-01-06 15:56:23 UTC
Orson Wells as CitizenCain says...
< ... > A shame you never realized that your hundreds of
< ... > homophobic and racist shit limericks are /all/ in
< ... > that category, Uncle Hammy.
Post by Orson Wells as CitizenCain
Dorkery, I'm a published writer. I write every day and have my work read by
thousands. What's the best YOU'VE done besides some scribblings on a
keyboard?
well, he's staggered around on a 3 foot wide stage [ ... ] a
couple of times. to dockery that's an accomplishment. sad but true.
most sincerely,
GodBuilt
I have these special glasses that filter out this and that and enhance
this and that. You put them on and Will Dockery appears as a nine-year-old.
And then Will <no joke> is </no joke> a greater writer! If your
nine-year-old could do what he does you would be brimming with pride,
contacting the press, singing along and all that. Do you want to borrow my
special glasses? It seems to me your life is going to be quite miserable
otherwise.

Okay I know many in the press write so that a twelve year old can
follow the story and that they write on multiple levels so that adults
aren't bored; it is a necessity of the mass media marketplace. And I
realize Will has added very little to keep the adults awake. But admit it,
sometimes you just want to relax and enjoy a trip to the zoo as much as any
child would, admit it I say. I know I was disappointed when they reduced
the number of animal shows on TV.

A rich and happy life awaits.

~~
Sick Mind
ggamble
2007-01-06 16:52:42 UTC
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 15:56:23 GMT, "Sick Mind"
Post by Sick Mind
I have these special glasses that filter out this and that and enhance
this and that.
Sand Castles and Fiddler Crabs
Sand castles and fiddler crabs and families at the beach
On a dog-eared page in a poetry book just out of reach
And naught else to ponder this frosty winter day
To warm the heart or ease the mind in any way
Oh, but you had a pail and shovel when you were just a child
Starfish and seashells all in my memory are filed
Your parents called a doctor when you stepped on a nail
He stopped the blood and cleaned wound to spare your life so frail
I read that you recovered, that was long ago
You must be married now so lovely you should know
Sand castles and fiddler crabs and families at the beach
Your own children soon will play there as you give a kiss to each
I am ready now to face the dreary winter day
It's time to tend the hungry cattle, they surely need their hay
(c) 2003 Sick Mind
Will Dockery
2007-01-06 17:51:18 UTC
Post by Sick Mind
I have these special glasses
Sand Castles and Fiddler Crabs
Sand castles and fiddler crabs and families at the beach
On a dog-eared page in a poetry book just out of reach
And naught else to ponder this frosty winter day
To warm the heart or ease the mind in any way
Oh, but you had a pail and shovel when you were just a child
Starfish and seashells all in my memory are filed
Your parents called a doctor when you stepped on a nail
He stopped the blood and cleaned wound to spare your life so frail
I read that you recovered, that was long ago
You must be married now so lovely you should know
Sand castles and fiddler crabs and families at the beach
Your own children soon will play there as you give a kiss to each
I am ready now to face the dreary winter day
It's time to tend the hungry cattle, they surely need their hay
(c) 2003 Sick Mind
Do your "special glasses" make your silly crabshit look good to you,
Sick?

ggamble
2007-01-06 17:57:02 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Do your "special glasses" make your silly crabshit look good to you,
Sick?
I think someone has hurt feelings!

Have some more booze and dope, then go rent some skankwhore for a few
minutes.

And whatever you do, don't shave, shower, or learn how to read and
write!

That's an order!
Dennis M. Hammes
2007-01-07 16:04:12 UTC
Post by ggamble
Post by Will Dockery
Do your "special glasses" make your silly crabshit look good to you,
Sick?
I think someone has hurt feelings!
Have some more booze and dope, then go rent some skankwhore for a few
minutes.
And whatever you do, don't shave, shower, or learn how to read and
write!
That's an order!
Hunh. That'll work about as well as telling the chuckles to write
about his luncheon date with a 20-to-30-year-old lawyer who really
likes him.
http://scrawlmark.org
Will Dockery
2007-01-07 17:44:16 UTC
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by ggamble
Have some more booze and dope, then go rent some skankwhore for a few
minutes.
Hunh. That'll work
Yeah, it worked last night.

ggamble
2007-01-07 17:57:47 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
worked last night.
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/LearnToBudget/IMake650AnHourAmIPoor.aspx
ggamble
2007-01-07 18:07:39 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Hunh. That'll work about as well as telling the chuckles to write
about his luncheon date with a 20-to-30-year-old lawyer who really
likes him.
Yeah, it worked last night.
So, you didn't shave, shower or learn how to read or write again last
night, what the fuck else is new?

Since you're/your/yore so good at following orders, how about if you
kill yourself tonight?

But, before you do that: continue to not shave, shower or learn how to
read or write. That's a standing order.

heh
Will Dockery
2007-01-07 18:42:53 UTC
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Hunh. That'll work about as well as telling the chuckles to write
about his luncheon date with a 20-to-30-year-old lawyer who really
likes him.
Yeah, it worked last night.
So, you didn't shave, shower <slap>
You seem a bit obsessed with my personal life, Gasfly... maybe you and
Uncle Hammy can get a room and trade fantasies about me.

You could even bring Dink
http://www.insurgent.org/~kook-faq/dink/index3x.html along.

Heh.

ggamble
2007-01-07 22:57:52 UTC
You misspelled *of*.
Dennis M. Hammes
2007-01-08 08:37:22 UTC
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Hunh. That'll work about as well as telling the chuckles to write
about his luncheon date with a 20-to-30-year-old lawyer who really
likes him.
Yeah, it worked last night.
So, you didn't shave, shower <slap>
You seem a bit obsessed with my personal life, Gasfly... maybe you and
Uncle Hammy can get a room and trade fantasies about me.
Your limp-wristed <slap> is a fantasy?
Oh.
The <slap> part.
Gotcha covered.
Post by Will Dockery
You could even bring Dink
http://www.insurgent.org/~kook-faq/dink/index3x.html along.
Heh.
d00d! Your desperation for this "Dink" is really heatin' up.
What's he got that I haven't?
Plugged sinuses?
http://scrawlmark.org
Will Dockery
2007-01-08 12:37:11 UTC
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by Will Dockery
http://www.insurgent.org/~kook-faq/dink/index3x.html along.
Heh.
What's he got that I haven't?
The only difference between you two seems to be that his writing is
regularly published and yours is not.

Dennis M. Hammes
2007-01-09 08:19:59 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by Will Dockery
http://www.insurgent.org/~kook-faq/dink/index3x.html along.
Heh.
What's he got that I haven't?
The only difference between you two seems to be that his writing is
regularly published and yours is not.
When I wrote for periodicals, I, too, was "regularly published" in
the sense you think you mean. And that has included goodly wads of
two sonnet sequences (for copies) and even some poultry paid for by
the line.
And it's a market severely restricted by its own economics from
much esperiment in style and content. Both he and I respect that
fact (from different sides of the question it puts, the one Rik put
to God Built somewhere upstream); you can't even see it.
I fault nobody for writing for the market he already has, which is
something else that he (even Vera and cythera) can do and you can't,
however the part you snipped referred to the fact that he knows how
to wash and you don't.

This space reserved for you to pile some more shit about sonnets at
poetry.com so that you can have something you actually like to eat:
http://scrawlmark.org
Stuart Leichter
2007-01-09 08:52:04 UTC
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
On the avenue,
Fifth Avenue,
The photographers
Will snap us,
And you'll find that you're
In the Photo-Gravure:
O, I could write a Sonnet
About your Easter Bonnet
And of the girl I'm taking
To the Easter Parade!

-- Irving Berlin on the black keys (the white ones were for
           Classical music)

(Nina Simone's Suzanne plays the black keys.)
Dennis M. Hammes
2007-01-10 15:12:33 UTC
Post by Stuart Leichter
On the avenue,
Fifth Avenue,
The photographers
Will snap us,
And you'll find that you're
O, I could write a Sonnet
About your Easter Bonnet
And of the girl I'm taking
To the Easter Parade!
-- Irving Berlin on the black keys (the white ones were for
Classical music)
(Nina Simone's Suzanne plays the black keys.)
Berlin was alive to the thesis that a pop song should have no more
than five notes and no interval greater than a fifth (because the
monkey can't remember or manage more than that).
So were Carmichael and Mancini.
The black keys comprise the whole pentatonic scale, in which much
"primitive" music was written with nothing left out.
The catchier stuff from Porter, Gershwin, and Loewe has dropped
out of circulation save among aficionados, and Bernstein (Elmer not
Leonard) and Williams can't even be managed by the trained voice mostly.
http://scrawlmark.org
Will Dockery
2007-01-09 14:26:23 UTC
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
When I wrote for periodicals, I, too, was "regularly published"
What "periodicals" were you "regularly published" in?

Orson Wells as CitizenCain
2007-01-10 02:17:56 UTC
Nothing you would be interested in, Dorkery. It wasn't Highlights magazine.
Dennis M. Hammes
2007-01-10 17:42:28 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
When I wrote for periodicals, I, too, was "regularly published"
What "periodicals" were you "regularly published" in?
Nothing you would be interested in, Dorkery. It wasn't Highlights magazine.
Actually it was, e.g., once; the Babtist version, though.
For pay.
And to spec, for shits and grins and to prove that I could.
And what, 33? years ago, when I was a novicer novice than any of
our old-timers on r.a.p. alone.
And you would /not/ have recognised it as me-then-or-now.
(Which is why I didn't do it again. Figger that out, anybody, and
you'll have one of the fundamentals of poetry as claimed -- but not
yet practiced where anybody can see it -- by Jake, cythera, Duckurpy,
and various departees. It was a carefully-polished, raving exercise
in Well, He Said.)
(Don't bother; I didn't use my name for the same reason.)
(Eh? "Amanda Reid" demonstrated the contrapositive.)
http://scrawlmark.org
Sick Mind
2007-01-07 02:47:49 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Sick Mind
I have these special glasses
< ... >
Post by Will Dockery
Do your "special glasses" make your silly crabshit look good to you,
Sick?
Oh! Isn't that the cutest thing! The little boy said "crabshit." Oh
my, there will be no cupcake for you later will there? No, no, no.

Seriously, Will, take a look at this sentence > But admit it,
sometimes you just want to relax and enjoy a trip to the zoo as much as any
child would, admit it I say.

I wrote that originally for OtH&BGB, but why not admit it yourself?

Next time I or anyone else throws it to you:

1. Don't take yourself too seriously.
2. For once in your life connect the dots on your own.
3. Catch the ball and run on your own.

Okay, I am not really sure about 3 because the Seahawks vs. Cowboys
game is on while I am typing.

~~
Sick Mind
Dennis M. Hammes
2007-01-07 16:01:50 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Sick Mind
[...]
OOOooo... Chief Dockery has flies in his eyes.
But can he catch twenty-two of them, that is the question.
http://scrawlmark.org
Will Dockery
2007-01-05 20:04:26 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
shit limericks are /all/ in that category, Uncle Hammy.
you faggot.
Nice zinger, Hammy.
But dull.
/I/ considered all 440 of them to be "worth bothering with."
Well, you /did/ write the little pieces of shit, after all.
Whereas you've written <slap>
More than you could even begin to try and match, Dink.
I'm a published writer. I write every day and have my work read by
thousands.
Got any samples, a link perhaps?
Post by Will Dockery
What's the best YOU'VE done?
Glad you asked, Dink.

A monthly column since 1998, and hundreds of published poems, example
of which can be seen at:

http://www.playgroundsmag.com

The two most recent being:

To The Magic Store by Will Dockery

Parnello's Pizza: the new pizzajoint-poetry center of Shadowville

My old pal Parnell, local poet from the old school poetry scene of
1995-1999, has put his pizzabiz studies into action with the new
Parnello's Pizza, 5401 Gunboat Drive B-10 (706-569-7272), as well as
preparing to kick off regular all ages poetry nights (Fridays, hosted
by Britanny and Patrick) and folk-blues acoustic pickers on Saturdays,
and plans for a monthly "artist of the month", displaying local
talents. Shadowville artists, contact me or Parnell at the telephone
number above, or just drop by (a stones throw from old SoHo, right
behind where the legendary Rockmeyers used to stand)... bring your
canvas and art tools: the view from the front porch is a muticolored
impressionist dreamscape.

Shadowville Speedway Blues: the return of Jones Avenue

"The Immortal John Joiner and Will Dockery have reformed JONES AVE. my
son Charles Fowler will be playing drums, I will add the acoustic gtrs
and mandolin and Crawford the bass. As thisline-up grows and develops
Jones Ave. will be the opener for Spaceseedin a series of shows in
Columbus Georgia and the Backyard Blues
Series. John Joiner formed Jones Ave. in 1997 and appears on San
Francisco Blue, Idiots Vision, Superczar 6 Lives and of course Jones
Ave.Folk Art. Which is still available thru Zeitgeist (A Oldie but
aGoodie). This music is still very enjoyable to play and a great reason
to gather old friends and play folk music and have alot of fun. Charles
Fowler is developing on his drums and I see this as a vehicle for him
to play some music and a vehicle for us to hang out together. Will
Dockery is the vocalist and adds alot to the Jones Ave. material."
-Brian Fowler

First single to hit on the 10th Anniversary of Jones
Avenue,
"Shadowville Speedway Blues":

Shadowville Speedway Blues

In a taxi watching a sporting house
Beside a Linwood vacant lot
Silverdollar moon portspotting
Constellation like a sailor's knot.

The sky was black, ink and glitter in the night
Train whine saxophone out beyond the light
I'm in love with a ghost blue turns to grey
Put a pyramid on my head to take my pain away.

Hazel knew the karma, she kept it in a bottle
Now I'm here on the receiving end
At least I still know how to take a joke
And laugh with none of my friends.

Brown Recluse magic drifting around the shed
Someone has it in for me I must not lose my head
Moving with the speedo life several with me left behind
Burned too many bridges defragmented my time.

Somewhere in time I've seen all this before
In a magazine or a dream of a distant war
Manifested destiny a manifesto and a part
All the actors still agree who ever had a heart.

The good book and the fortune telling lady
Black tooth mojo marked index cards
Bundles over the side of Dillingham Bridge
Splashing as ripples reflect from the stars.

Hazel knew the karma she kept it in a bottle
Now I'm here on the receiving end
At least I still know how to take a joke
And laugh with none of my friends.

-Will Dockery/Brian Fowler

Will Dockery videos:
http://tinyurl.com/yfmzeq

Backyard Blues poster by Eileen D'esterno:

*and*

To The Magic Store by Will Dockery

Lucy Rox and Trampstamp:

I stopped by Crystal Valley Saloon for a beer one Saturday night,
expecting the usual Country-Western old school sounds of their weekend
bands, and had the pleasant surprise of catching Lucy Rox (last seen by
me singing with the local legends of Empire) fronting a great new band,
performing originals and snappy covers... they go by the name of
Trampstamp:

http://trampstamp.nonz.net/

http://www.myspace.com/therealtrampstamp
"Chattahochee Valley's baddest new rock band, TrampStamp. We play
covers by a diverse array of groups ranging from rock classics like
Stevie Nicks, metal groups such as Anthrax, and modern rockers Ten
Years, Disturbed, and Hawthorne Heights. We also have original songs in

the works representing our wide influences. Each of us bring unique
styles to the band, so our originals are hard to pigeon-hole into one
genre. If you had to choose, it would have to be "bad ass"!"

Catch Trampstamp downtown at The Vault, and out on the eastside at
Crystal Valley Saloon, and by the time this hits print, no doubt at
other venues... book 'em, Donno!

"Wobble"

Black soul
in a haunted swirl.
Crisp snap
on the edge of my world.
Dark night
without clouds.
Swift train
clacking loud.

A black veil for you
A black veil for you
A black veil for you
my aim was true.

Spiral for me baby
seems I'll take the chance
uncharted cosmic wobble
to dance an eternal dance...
Let the angels dance
let the angels dance
let the angels dance
let the young girls dance.

Doomed rocket
out of fuel.
Skittered sidewise
with a twist of blue.
I watched it fall
and I thought of you.

Dancing just for you
dancing just for you
dancing just for you
and you know who.

You shine like stardust /baby/
I'm in your thrall, a trance.
A pinprick in a photograph
to dance the eternal dance.

Let the dibbuks dance
let the dibbuks dance
let the dibbuks dance
let the young girls dance.

-Dockery/Conley

Sir Harden Thicke
2007-01-05 20:49:59 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
A monthly column since 1998, and hundreds of published poems, example
of which can be seen at
Hey Will, you have names for these hundreds of poems right?
Would you post maybe the names of 50 of them please?

COOSN-266-06-25794
Will Dockery
2007-01-05 21:20:57 UTC
Post by Sir Harden Thicke
A monthly column since 1998, and hundreds of published poems, examples
of which can be seen at http://www.playgroundsmag.com
Hey Will, you have names for these hundreds of poems right?
Would you post maybe the names of 50 of them please?
Sure, and thanks for asking.

Over the last year there's been:

Hasty Pudding
"Wobble"
Shadowville Speedway Blues
God's Toybox
Dream Tears
Under The Radar
Her Majesty's Secret Madrigal
Antigone
The Ride (Combat Zone)
Greybeard Cavalier (rewrite)
Parnello's
Fadeaway Encounter
Last Dream Today
Ozone Stigmata
Katherine
Britannia
Sidewalk Spinner
Siver Blazing Sun

...and others which I can get back to... and some from the last decade,
all published in Playgrounds and distributed to 10,000 local readers
monthly, as well as posted to Usenet:

A Convolution In Her - (6)
Post by Sir Harden Thicke
A Creature Of The Age - (1)
After The Reading - (2)
Ash Dust Moon - (1)
Ballad Of The Ugly Girl - (1)
Behind the Forest - (2)
Bird Rhythm - (2)
bitter warm morning - (1)
Black Art From A Green Heart - (3)
Black Eagle Lady - (3)
http://www.lulu.com/content/26894
Post by Sir Harden Thicke
Bone Gods - (3)
Chapter One In This Compacted Book - (3)
Chorus Five - (2)
Chorus Six - (1)
Chorus Two - (1)
Coil - (3)
Cold Room - (2)
Combat Zone - (5)
Commodore - (1)
Connection - (2)
CoOpBob - (1)
Criminals - (1)
Cutting Sky Slashes - (2)
Dark Bitter Night - (1)
Dark Cat - (2)
Dark Moth & Cloud Puppy - (1)
Devil Of The Cold - (1)
Dialogue - (2)
Diver Days - (1)
Dog Beads - (1)
Download Blues - (1)
Dream Tears - (5)
Eating Rainbows for Breakfast - (4)
Erase - (1)
Even As In Morning - (2)
Evocation: Laura Redwood - (1)
http://www.lulu.com/content/26961
Post by Sir Harden Thicke
Fadeaway Encounter - (1)
Fawn Greyhound - (2)
Fire Girl in White Snow - (1)
Flower/Stargirl - (1)
Frayed Page Soaked in Rain - (1)
Galatea - (3)
Galatea: Fare thee well m'lady - (1)
God Smiles (1)
http://www.lulu.com/content/26881
Post by Sir Harden Thicke
Gold Like A Broken Ring - (5)
Green Ringlets - (1)
And:
Greybeard Cavalier (1)
http://www.lulu.com/content/26663
Post by Sir Harden Thicke
HaloHead and Dark Greeny - (1)
Head Trip - (1)
Humidity - (1)
humidity poem - (1)
in this mindless breeze - (3)
Into the Night - (1)
Invasion of the Warrior Lords - (4)
Karma Bombs - (3)
http://www.lulu.com/content/32109
Post by Sir Harden Thicke
Karpet King - (1)
Lay Black Night - (1)
Left Handed Summer - (1)
Lemon Stir - (3)
Lemon Yellow Girl [Looking For A Green Raven] - (1)
Looked All Over - (1)
Looking Over The Bridge (Built In 1936) - (5)
Love From Left - (1)
Love From Left 2 - (1)
Mirror Twins - (10)
http://www.lulu.com/content/29085
Post by Sir Harden Thicke
Mister Spinster - (2)
Moments - (7)
Moon Studies - (3)
Moontoys - (1)
Moon Toys - (1)
Moon Toys 2 - (1)
Motor-Bike - (1)
Nipple Stream - (1)
Nothing But Pain - (2)
Ode to an electric goddess - (2)
Off The Cuff Part Two - (1)
On the Stage - (1)
Op Bob - (1)
Pages Fly From Earthside (to a yello notebook) - (1)
Pome - (2)
Professor Johnson - (2)
Pussywillow Wine - (1)
Queen of Cups {upturned} - (2)
Ragpicker Joe - (1)
Red Roadrunner Blues - (1)
Remix: Sweet Dark Memories - (1)
Retouched Evil - (1)
Ritual Memory - (1)
Salt Ripple - (1)
Scattered In My Memory - (2)
Scorpioman in Trashcanland - (6)
Self Portrait - (1)
Shadowville - (2)
Shadowville Ballet - (2)
Shadowville Rain - (5)
She's A Sea Captain - (1)
Shiver Booty - (1)
Similarities - (2)
Siren - (2)
Sixties Dream Movie - (2)
Skirt Of Green - (13)
Skirt Of Printed Sunflowers - (2)
Sky Poets of Dreamtown - (1)
Sky Song - (3)
Soft Shadows - (1)
Splendor Span - (1)
Spirit Song Horses - (2)
Stella's Dream - (4)
Stoneman the Cat - (2)
Sunglass - (1)
Sweet Bonnie Bender - (1)
Sweet Dark Memories - (2)
Teletubby Blues - (2)
The Ballad of Whispy - (2)
The Look - (1)
the Myth of the Red Goddess - (2)
The Original - (2)
to an electric goddess - (1)
To Goat Rock - (1)
to Stella - (1)
Torch - (1)
Tuesday With Little Spain - (7)
Two Blackbirds Flying Side-By-Side - (1)
Unseen Ballad [part one] - (1)
Water Under A Burning Bridge - (1)
Wave - (3)
Weasel Blues - (1)
Who By Who - (1)
And 200 or so not posted to Usenet, plus even more hundreds written and
published in the small press of the 1980s, and still more dating back
to the 1970s that have never been seen anywhere... yet.

Meat Plow
2007-01-05 21:26:36 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Sir Harden Thicke
Hey Will, you have names for these hundreds of poems right?
Would you post maybe the names of 50 of them please?
Sure, and thanks for asking.
Hasty Pudding
"Wobble"
Shadowville Speedway Blues
God's Toybox
Dream Tears
Under The Radar
Her Majesty's Secret Madrigal
Antigone
The Ride (Combat Zone)
Greybeard Cavalier (rewrite)
Parnello's
Fadeaway Encounter
Last Dream Today
Ozone Stigmata
Katherine
Britannia
Sidewalk Spinner
Siver Blazing Sun
Ok that's 18, the other 32?

COOSN-266-06-25794
Will Dockery
2007-01-05 21:38:32 UTC
Post by Meat Plow
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Sir Harden Thicke
Hey Will, you have names for these hundreds of poems right?
Would you post maybe the names of 50 of them please?
Sure, and thanks for asking.
Hasty Pudding
"Wobble"
Shadowville Speedway Blues
God's Toybox
Dream Tears
Under The Radar
Her Majesty's Secret Madrigal
Antigone
The Ride (Combat Zone)
Greybeard Cavalier (rewrite)
Parnello's
Fadeaway Encounter
Last Dream Today
Ozone Stigmata
Katherine
Britannia
Sidewalk Spinner
Siver Blazing Sun
Ok that's 18, the other 32?
How many below did you snip?

Lessee:

A Convolution In Her - (6)
Post by Meat Plow
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Twilight Girl
Post by Meat Plow
Post by Will Dockery
Two Blackbirds Flying Side-By-Side - (1)
Unseen Ballad [part one] - (1)
Water Under A Burning Bridge - (1)
Wave - (3)
Weasel Blues - (1)
Who By Who - (1)
Okay, that was 129 by my count.

Meat Plow
2007-01-05 22:39:59 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Meat Plow
Ok that's 18, the other 32?
How many below did you snip?
Didn't see them.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Dennis M. Hammes
2007-01-06 11:01:48 UTC
Post by Meat Plow
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Meat Plow
Ok that's 18, the other 32?
How many below did you snip?
Didn't see them.
Of course not.

"... and still more dating back
to the 1970s that have never been seen anywhere..."
-- W.D. (long-lost LUUUve-child of H.D.)
http://scrawlmark.org
Will Dockery
2007-01-06 11:17:57 UTC
Post by Meat Plow
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Meat Plow
Ok that's 18, the other 32?
How many below did you snip?
Didn't see them.
Here they are, then:

A Convolution In Her - (6)

Post by Meat Plow
Post by Will Dockery
Ragpicker Joe - (1)
Red Roadrunner Blues - (1)
Remix: Sweet Dark Memories - (1)
Retouched Evil - (1)
Ritual Memory - (1)
Salt Ripple - (1)
Scattered In My Memory - (2)
Scorpioman in Trashcanland - (6)
Self Portrait - (1)
Shadowville - (2)
Shadowville Ballet - (2)
Shadowville Rain - (5)
She's A Sea Captain - (1)
Shiver Booty - (1)
Similarities - (2)
Siren - (2)
Sixties Dream Movie - (2)
Skirt Of Green - (13)
Skirt Of Printed Sunflowers - (2)
Sky Poets of Dreamtown - (1)
Sky Song - (3)
Soft Shadows - (1)
Splendor Span - (1)
Post by Meat Plow
Post by Will Dockery
Spirit Song Horses - (2)
Stella's Dream - (4)
Stoneman the Cat - (2)
Sunglass - (1)
Sweet Bonnie Bender - (1)
Sweet Dark Memories - (2)
Teletubby Blues - (2)
The Ballad of Whispy - (2)
The Look - (1)
the Myth of the Red Goddess - (2)
The Original - (2)
to an electric goddess - (1)
To Goat Rock - (1)
to Stella - (1)
Torch - (1)
Tuesday With Little Spain - (7)
Twilight Girl

Dennis M. Hammes
2007-01-06 10:59:05 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
still more dating back
to the 1970s that have never been seen anywhere... yet.
What can we say to that but "Gol-LEE!"
http://scrawlmark.org
Dennis M. Hammes
2007-01-06 10:56:20 UTC
Post by Meat Plow
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Sir Harden Thicke
Hey Will, you have names for these hundreds of poems right?
Would you post maybe the names of 50 of them please?
Sure, and thanks for asking.
Hasty Pudding
"Wobble"
Shadowville Speedway Blues
God's Toybox
Dream Tears
Under The Radar
Her Majesty's Secret Madrigal
Antigone
The Ride (Combat Zone)
Greybeard Cavalier (rewrite)
Parnello's
Fadeaway Encounter
Last Dream Today
Ozone Stigmata
Katherine
Britannia
Sidewalk Spinner
Siver Blazing Sun
Ok that's 18, the other 32?
Nineteen Forty-One
Twenty Something
Twenty-One Jump Street
Twenty-Two Rimfire
Twenty-Three Skiddoo
Twenty-Four Carrots
Twenty-Five-Twenty
Twenty Sick Sheep...
http://scrawlmark.org
Orson Wells as CitizenCain
2007-01-06 00:07:48 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Sir Harden Thicke
[...]
Big f'n deal Dockery. One column of mine reaches that many readers in a
*day.* Your "success" is all in your head-- maybe that's why you believe
there's so much of it, what with all that empty space.
Orson Wells as CitizenCain
2007-01-06 00:04:46 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
shit limericks are /all/ in that category, Uncle Hammy.
you faggot.
Nice zinger, Hammy.
But dull.
/I/ considered all 440 of them to be "worth bothering with."
Well, you /did/ write the little pieces of shit, after all.
Whereas you've written <slap>
More than you could even begin to try and match, Dink.
I'm a published writer. I write every day and have my work read by
thousands.
Got any samples, a link perhaps?
I'm a newspaper reporter, Dorkery. All you have to do is visit the website.
Regardless, the point still stands that I've had more published in the last
eleven months than you will ever hope to in your pathetic, miserable,
delusional, ogrish life.
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
What's the best YOU'VE done?
Glad you asked, Dink.
Because you're such an egotist?
Post by Will Dockery
A monthly column since 1998, and hundreds of published poems, example
http://www.playgroundsmag.com
- snip -

Oh wow. A website no one has heard about. good job.
Will Dockery
2007-01-06 18:10:56 UTC
I'm a newspaper reporter. All you have to do is visit the website.
So post the link, Dink.

Orson Wells as CitizenCain
2007-01-07 03:55:55 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
I'm a newspaper reporter. All you have to do is visit the website.
So post the link, Dink.
It's been posted before, Dorkery. However, with your piss-poor reading
comprehension skills and your less than stellar reputation and admittance of
being a drug dealer, alcoholic, thief and stumbling drunk at this time I
refuse to post the link for you. Go search it for yourself.
Will Dockery
2007-01-07 09:31:32 UTC
CitizenCain Loading Image...
Post by Will Dockery
I'm a newspaper reporter. All you have to do is visit the website.
So post the link, Dink.
It's been posted before
Where?

Oh, wait... here it is:

http://www.insurgent.org/~kook-faq/dink/index3x.html

"...15. Why does Dink hate certain Usenet residents so much that he
replies to almost every post they make (including those that don't even
mention him)?
Dink hates anyone who has figured him out for who and what he really
is. His anger and rage are only limited by the fact that he's generally
too impotent and incompetent to do much of anything. Even when those
users completely ignore him and never reply to his posts, he continues
to respond to their posts, even if the posts have nothing to do with
him."

You're a funny 'lil guy, Dink.

--
Will Dockery: the usenet poetry collection

Hasty Pudding
"Wobble"
[...]

CoOpBop - (1)
[...]

Op Bop - (1)
[...]
-- W.D.

Orson Wells as CitizenCain
2007-01-07 19:03:08 UTC
CitizenCain http://www.dockerythepizzaboy.org.edu.gov.net.tl
Post by Will Dockery
I'm a newspaper reporter. All you have to do is visit the website.
So post the link, Dink.
It's been posted before
Where?
Find it, Dorkery.
http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- snip -

You truly are one jealous son of a bitch, aren't you Dorkery? Must suck to
be you. Really.
Dennis M. Hammes
2007-01-08 08:45:03 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
You're a funny 'lil guy, Dink.
And you're not.
We know.
http://scrawlmark.org
Barbara's Cat
2006-12-29 15:05:12 UTC
Per article <***@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com>
posted in newsgroup rec.arts.poems,
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Barbara's Cat
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
That's not a critique, it's an observation.
Try to learn the difference someday, idiot.
Post by Will Dockery
though I haven't considered this one worth bothering with
Of course you haven't, Duck, that's your norm.
Post by Will Dockery
at this late date, your thought may be helpful with something else.
That's highly unlikely considering that you didn't
even understand the observation in the first place.
Post by Will Dockery
Hope your holiday week is a fine and balmy one!
No, you don't. You couldn't care less, poser.
Cm~
Stuart Leichter
2006-12-29 04:08:24 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Were you dressed like Superman?
It's not an autobiographical narrative.
Might as well be, though.
Whatever you say, and in case I'm not clear, I mean whatever you say is
right, correct, or true.
Post by Will Dockery
NBC's Jane Pauley's riff for POTUS Ford mentioned his being on NBC's
Today Show on November 23, 1963 while JFK "was laying in state", so I figure
she reads my comments here.
I've watched some of the Ford nostalgia fest today, interesting how
much of a difference 30 years makes as far as perspective... Ford going
from the bumbling unelected president who cut Nixon off the hook to
cutting into the James Brown action.
Check out POTUS Ford's stumble in Cairo at the bottom of the stair ramp of
AF One. Check out his full Moslem salute, as it were, at that moment at the
feet of Sadat. If you're a buffery sort, you'd realize that his previous
stumbles were designed to let you accept that Cairo prostration as just
another clumsy stumble. The guy was a superior athlete, as it were.
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Obpoem:

James Brown

Languages, sandwiches, and whatev
Yeah, sez one, I'm into languages
like it's a new bag, was -- unh!
Yeah, man, that's my bag
deedle eetle eetle eetle eetle eet--dnnnn!
Stay in school
don' play the fool
jus stay in school
an' don' play the fool
get in the groove
like a sewing machine
make it move
in your washing machine -- huh! dot dot dot dot dot dot dot dot dot
kids today, hey!
whattaya say!
now kids today--huh!
now whattaya say!
say stay in school
an' you won' be the fool
say stay in school
an' you won' be the fool
here we go
now!
--
1999

I have a Beatles 45 (She Loves You/I'll Get You) on the Swan label, with
"Don't Drop Out" printed on the label.
Will Dockery
2006-12-29 17:37:42 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
NBC's Jane Pauley's riff for POTUS Ford mentioned his being on NBC's
Today Show on November 23, 1963 while JFK "was laying in state", so I figure
she reads my comments here.
I've watched some of the Ford nostalgia fest today, interesting how
much of a difference 30 years makes as far as perspective... Ford going
from the bumbling unelected president who cut Nixon off the hook to
cutting into the James Brown action.
Check out POTUS Ford's stumble in Cairo at the bottom of the stair ramp of
AF One. Check out his full Moslem salute, as it were, at that moment at the
feet of Sadat. If you're a buffery sort, you'd realize that his previous
stumbles were designed to let you accept that Cairo prostration as just
another clumsy stumble. The guy was a superior athlete, as it were.
Amazing how the world was fooled... I was informed about Ford more by
the biographical sketches by Chevy Chase than the actual man's "work",
anyway.
That's gotta be a valuable disc.

ggamble
2006-12-29 18:04:48 UTC
anyway.
Stuart Leichter
2006-12-29 18:21:15 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
The "world" wasn't fooled, only the gullible US populace were fooled.
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Not really, and the Vee-Jay LP isn't worth much either. I wish I had the
butchers LP sleeve of Yesterday and Today, though: I saw it in 1976 at
Record-Rama in Etna, inside a locked jeweler's case, with a $400 price tag.
The Y&T album cover butchers pic was released as the inside jacket pic on
the Capitol US release of Rarities (1980), but that's not worth much more
than any now-rare LP. The full-size butchers pic was reproduced on the title
page of the 1981 edition of Roy Carr and Tony Tyler's _The Beatles: An
Illustrated Record_ (Harmony Books).
Will Dockery
2006-12-29 18:34:43 UTC
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
I've watched some of the Ford nostalgia fest today, interesting how
much of a difference 30 years makes as far as perspective... Ford going
from the bumbling unelected president who cut Nixon off the hook to
cutting into the James Brown action.
Check out POTUS Ford's stumble in Cairo at the bottom of the stair ramp of
AF One. Check out his full Moslem salute, as it were, at that moment at the
feet of Sadat. If you're a buffery sort, you'd realize that his previous
stumbles were designed to let you accept that Cairo prostration as just
another clumsy stumble. The guy was a superior athlete, as it were.
Amazing how the world was fooled... I was informed about Ford more by
the biographical sketches by Chevy Chase than the actual man's "work",
anyway.
The "world" wasn't fooled, only the gullible US populace were fooled.
And almost all of us voted for Jimmy Carter.
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Good, because something happened to my copy years ago.
Post by Stuart Leichter
I wish I had the
butchers LP sleeve of Yesterday and Today, though: I saw it in 1976 at
Record-Rama in Etna, inside a locked jeweler's case, with a $400 price tag.
The Y&T album cover butchers pic was released as the inside jacket pic on
the Capitol US release of Rarities (1980), but that's not worth much more
than any now-rare LP. The full-size butchers pic was reproduced on the title
page of the 1981 edition of Roy Carr and Tony Tyler's _The Beatles: An
Illustrated Record_ (Harmony Books).
Like the comix, the music is more important than the artifact, to me.

I'm better off with a fresh CD edition of the music, just as I am with
the trade paperback reprints of the old comix... that way I'm not
nervous about actually enjoying the stuff rather than mounting them in
some display case.

Stuart Leichter
2006-12-29 20:20:57 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Ford refused to renounce the Nixonian "benign neglect" approach to blacks,
it's as though the Republicans laid down and took a dive, knowing that
double-digit inflation was imminent following the dollar devaluation of 1972
and the Yom Kippur War oil embargo, and no POTUS would survive the late
1970s. In fact, one vote change per precinct everywhere would have elected
Ford. Carter won because of the black vote.
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
I wish I had the
butchers LP sleeve of Yesterday and Today, though: I saw it in 1976 at
Record-Rama in Etna, inside a locked jeweler's case, with a $400 price tag.
The Y&T album cover butchers pic was released as the inside jacket pic on
the Capitol US release of Rarities (1980), but that's not worth much more
than any now-rare LP. The full-size butchers pic was reproduced on the title
page of the 1981 edition of Roy Carr and Tony Tyler's _The Beatles: An
Illustrated Record_ (Harmony Books).
Like the comix, the music is more important than the artifact, to me.
I'm better off with a fresh CD edition of the music, just as I am with
the trade paperback reprints of the old comix... that way I'm not
nervous about actually enjoying the stuff rather than mounting them in
some display case.
Digitized stuff isn't permanent, it can disappear: no one knows the archival
longevity of digital information on a CD or DVD. You don't need electric
power to play an LP or listen to one if you have a crank wind-up record
player. Wind-up battery power is the new tech again. The MIT wind-up laptops
are being distributed to places and schools in the world where electricity
isn't available.

When the complete Benny Goodman discography was published in the 1980s, I
asked Paul Mawhinney of Record-Rama if he'd go halvesies with me on the book
(it was an expensive hardbound) and if he'd go for something like 'shared
custody'. He said he'd go halvesies, but the book would have to stay at the
store "as part of the archives", so I said nah. (Footnote to the photo
caption in the link: I nearly came to blows with "legendary disc jockey
Chuck Brinkman" in 1986.)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05026/447966.stm
Will Dockery
2006-12-30 11:52:05 UTC
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
The huge numbers of people disgusted with the Republican party and Ford
himself would seem to have had something to do with it.

I remember most distinctly Carter's promise to "decriminalize" weed,
which news I passed to everyone that might be interested.
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
[...]
CDs and DVDs do self-destruct with the first scratch.

Do you think the Usenet archives are forever, as we all assume and
hope?
Post by Stuart Leichter
When the complete Benny Goodman discography was published in the 1980s, I
asked Paul Mawhinney of Record-Rama if he'd go halvesies with me on the book
(it was an expensive hardbound) and if he'd go for something like 'shared
custody'. He said he'd go halvesies, but the book would have to stay at the
store "as part of the archives", so I said nah. (Footnote to the photo
caption in the link: I nearly came to blows with "legendary disc jockey
Chuck Brinkman" in 1986.)
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05026/447966.stm
Interesting history.

Did you ever check out Billy Reed?

"Let Your Hair Down Baby" by Billy Reed:

http://www.georgiasoul.com/sounds/blog/billyreed.rm

From:
http://georgiasoul.blogspot.com/2006/05/billy-reed-let-your-hair-down-baby-men.html

Ever since I first got turned onto this record, I had wondered who
Billy
Reed was. The A side of this 45 is a version of Harvey "Harmonica Fats"

Blackston's classic song "Tore Up", and a pretty decent version at
that. But
the flip side, our selection today, is a blazing percussive R&B
windstorm
which must have driven crowds wild heard live in a night club setting.
Recently, I had an opportunity to speak with Skip McQuinn, formerly the

drummer in Johnny Barfield & the Men From S.O.U.L. and now a successful

producer and studio engineer, who remembered Billy Reed. That in itself
was
a surprise because I've asked a good number of people about him over
the
last few years and not gotten much in the way of any real information
about
him. My initial conversation with McQuinn was exactly what I needed to
put
most of the pieces of this puzzle together.

Reed has been described as an "old timey" blues guy from out in the
country.
"The country" in this context is particularly vague when you consider
where
these events took place. Columbus is an Army town on the border of
Georgia
and Alabama. Separating Columbus from Phenix City Alabama is the
Chattahoochee River. A quick glance at a map will reveal that there is
a lot
of rural area surrounding Columbus. McQuinn thought that Billy Reed was

indeed from the Georgia side of the border but not exactly sure.
Another
area musician who factors into this story is Oscar Toney Jr. Toney's
recollection is that Reed was actually not from as far out in the
country as
McQuinn remembers, but from Phenix City. Of Billy Reed's age, Toney
states
that he may not have been much older than any of the other musicians
working
Columbus at the time, but may have appeared that way due to living a
hard
life. Whatever the case, it seems that we still haven't quite gotten
the
full story of Billy Reed straight just yet.

Reed didn't perform as much as some of the more prominent artists in
Columbus at the time, such as Jo Jo Benson, Oscar Toney Jr. and some of
the
other local Columbus artists. But through his local night club
performances,
Billy Reed met up with WDAK DJ, promoter and record shop owner Ed "Dr.
Jive"
Mendel who arranged a recording session with Ben Parsons of Tomahawk
Records. Parsons had the only recording studio in the area and is
reported
to have built his own recording console back when the nearest recording

studio would have been in Atlanta or Nashville. Just how true that is I

can't say for sure. Mendel's agreement with Billy Reed and Ben Parsons
evolved into the first 45 on either of Ed Mendel's two record labels
(the
other being Peggy Sue).

Other musicians on this session were members of The Kayos, a band
usually
fronted by Oscar Toney Jr. The Kayos were one of the major acts playing

regularly in Columbus at the time, The other band being Roy Hill and
His
Swinging Sextet. These two bands both played at the C'estbon night club
in
Columbus which also regularly held talent nights hosted by Ed Mendel
where
local singers and musicians would sit in and win awards, battle of the
bands
style, by audience applause. Heard on the Billy Reed single were Joe
Williams, a "wild" left handed guitar player who played a right handed
guitar upside down, and Horace Hughley on drums.

Oscar Toney Jr. remembers that Billy Reed was very talented blues harp
player and could have gone further with his own career if he had worked
on a
more original act. Billy Reed worked very much in the same style as
Jimmy
Reed, which seems to be why he didn't cut more records. There was
already a
Jimmy Reed, and record labels were looking for more original artists.
It is
entirely possible that with a more original act, Reed might have gotten

signed by "Papa Don" Schroeder, who had signed Toney, in addition to
other
artists in the southeast such as Mighty Sam McClain and James & Bobby
Purify. Luckily, Ed Mendel believed in Billy Reed enough to at least
release
this one single for him!

Stuart Leichter
2006-12-30 18:21:03 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Are you debating me, Will? Since 1900 the Carter-Ford Electoral vote had the
narrowest margin of difference since Woodrow Wilson beat Charles Evans
Hughes in 1916, and only the Wilson-Hughes, Kennedy-Nixon, and
Nixon-Humphrey (-Wallace) popular votes were closer. Ford stumbled when he
said Poland was not under Soviet domination, which the press/media howled
over. Ford was being like you in that TV 'debate': he was relying on a thin
technicality, since Poland was not part of the USSR; presumably he viewed
Poland by anology with Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania, which the USSR made
part of its Union in 1944 but which the US and its allies refused to
recognize as such.
Post by Will Dockery
I remember most distinctly Carter's promise to "decriminalize" weed,
which news I passed to everyone that might be interested.
He was a Navy man with cardigan sweaters and lust in his honest, born-again
Baptist heart, who probably never cheated or got high, but granted blanket
amnesty to draft dodgers and persuaded states to decriminalize pot. The
womanizing, pot smoking, draft dodger Clinton signed the draconian '3
strikes and you're out' law. He probably saw Richard Pryor's performance:
"Thank God there are prisons, thank God there are prisons!" WJC gets a prop
for Miller Williams reading at his 2nd Inaugural.
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
[...]
No they don't, the data are under that surface. Like with a photo negative,
you can smear some nose grease on the scratch to smoothe it out. Cheap
players are usually the culprits.
Post by Will Dockery
Do you think the Usenet archives are forever, as we all assume and
hope?
If Google's servers are lead-lined and 50 feet underground in concrete
bunkers, maybe.
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
When the complete Benny Goodman discography was published in the 1980s, I
asked Paul Mawhinney of Record-Rama if he'd go halvesies with me on the book
(it was an expensive hardbound) and if he'd go for something like 'shared
custody'. He said he'd go halvesies, but the book would have to stay at the
store "as part of the archives", so I said nah. (Footnote to the photo
caption in the link: I nearly came to blows with "legendary disc jockey
Chuck Brinkman" in 1986.)
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05026/447966.stm
Interesting history.
Did you ever check out Billy Reed?
Negatory.
Post by Will Dockery
http://www.georgiasoul.com/sounds/blog/billyreed.rm
It reminds me of Gary US Bonds. Nice harmonica, but the tubs sound awfully
caucasion.
Will Dockery
2006-12-30 18:57:12 UTC
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Are you debating me, Will?
Hell no, Stu!
Post by Will Dockery
I remember most distinctly Carter's promise to "decriminalize" weed,
which news I passed to everyone that might be interested.
He was a Navy man with cardigan sweaters and lust in his honest, born-again
Baptist heart, who probably never cheated or got high,
The story of him smoking weed with Willie Nelson (or Charlie Daniels)
is only apocryphal?
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
[...]
And maybe cheap disc, like many of the Shadowville All-Stars masters
that foul up although they're being kept as carefully as I would
Superman #1.
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
It may or may no be on the website... a safe wager Gasfly

Stuart Leichter
2006-12-30 19:45:23 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
I remember most distinctly Carter's promise to "decriminalize" weed,
which news I passed to everyone that might be interested.
He was a Navy man with cardigan sweaters and lust in his honest, born-again
Baptist heart, who probably never cheated or got high,
The story of him smoking weed with Willie Nelson (or Charlie Daniels)
is only apocryphal?
I wrote 'probably' because I really know nothing about any of that stuff. Do
you wonder why guys like Willie Nelson are golf-crazed?
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
It's on the website, verbatim.
Post by Will Dockery
a safe wager Gasfly
http://clitin.com/here.nu/netpoets/ggamble.jpg didn't write it, though.
Karla's pic isn't there anymore: http://clitin.com/here.nu/netpoets

What info do you have about that? Did you see what Bishop's alleging?
Will Dockery
2006-12-30 20:06:02 UTC
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
It may or may not be on the website...
It's on the website, verbatim.
a safe wager Gasfly
http://clitin.com/here.nu/netpoets/ggamble.jpg didn't write it, though.
Karla's pic isn't there anymore: http://clitin.com/here.nu/netpoets
I see that! Just a blank box with a tiny red X in the spot!
Post by Stuart Leichter
What info do you have about that?
None, but I read Karla's letter (or her lawyer's letter), and it was
clear from the start that her "April" poem and Bishop's "April" poem
were the same, as I noted from the start, as she knows.
Post by Stuart Leichter
Did you see what Bishop's alleging?
No, not yet... is it something different from the usual?

ggamble
2006-12-30 20:11:55 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Just a blank box
it was
clear from the start
as I noted from the start, as she knows.
apparently, no?
Avraf Ffokrep
2007-01-04 05:17:10 UTC
YOU ARE DONE FOR< DOCKERY!!!!!!!